[ale] tcsh vs. ksh environment variables?

Justin Russell justin.w.russell at lmco.com
Wed Jul 26 16:35:14 EDT 2000

Does anyone know how the default environment variables are set for these
shells?

My specific problem is that (on a RH 6.1 machine) in tcsh, the
environment variable REMOTEHOST is automatically set, while in ksh, it
is not.  I would like to be able to auto-set my DISPLAY to
${REMOTEHOST}:0, but in ksh i can't figure out how to do this.

I have checked in the default /etc/csh.login, etc. files and I don't see
REMOTEHOST set there (I grep'd the directory), where else could it be
set? My thinking is that I should use tcsh as a model for setting this
in ksh if I could just figure out how it is done.

TIA,
Justin

 Justin W. Russell
 Engineer Senior, Aerodynamics/CFD