[ale] Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Dec 26 17:42:49 EST 1998

Well, like most emails posted here with a piece of hardware as the subject
line, it ain't workin'.

For Christmas, I was given this card, it is supposed to be a Plug N Play
card, so I have installed isapnptools on my system.  I have tweaked,
poked, prodded, and even aattempted beggin and cajoling to try to get the
system to say something, *anything* about this card.

If I have this isapnp.conf file:

(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)

...then I get the following response out of isapnp:

Board 1 has Identity 6d ff ff ff ff f0 00 8c 0e:  CTL00f0 Serial No
4294967295 [checksum 6d]

...but if I add to it the following:

(CONFIGURE CTL00f0/4294967295
  (LD 0
    (IO 0 (BASE 0x220))
    (INT 0 (IRQ 5))
    (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
    (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
  ))

...then I get this response:

Board CTL00f0/4294967295 not found
Error occurred executing request 'CONFIGURE CTL00f0/4294967295' on or
around line 3 --- further action aborted

... Now DID it, or did it NOT, just tell me that there is a board, A
CTL00f0 (in that case, even) with serial number 4294967295?!?  Isn't that
board therefore referred to as CTL00f0/4294967295 on a CONFIGURE
statement?

Here is a further piece to the puzzle:

pnpdump occasionally returns a result with all of the "stuff" for this
board.  I have never been so lucky as to capture this information where I
can use it.  Getting this result from pnpdump appears to be unrepeatable,
more frequently, I get a litany of all of the ports it tries followed by:

# No boards found

Here is further information:

My system is running Slackware 3.3, and I have upgraded the kernel to
2.0.35.  I previously had a sound card (a Sound Blaster Pro) which was a
non-plug-and-play card.  I have edited this out of the kernel and compiled
a new kernel with SB16 support as a module, so this is not interfering
with isapnp's workings.

HELP!!!

Many thanks.
--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Stealing is illegal... the government hates competition.