[ale] Several questions

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Sat Dec 26 17:51:51 EST 1998

	Sorry about all these messages, I am taking more than my share of
the bandwidth, so I hope that this will be my last one for a little while
at least.

1. My printer
	At one time, I printed the Firewall HOWTO out of TkDesk for my
dad. From then on, linux has been obsessed with printing it again. As
soon as it finished the first time, it started again. Whenever I turn on
the printer in linux, it tries to finish printing it. It won't stop even
after reboot and I would like to be able to print other things in linux.
Any tips?

2. Linux file system
	To my great delight, I received a "secret santa" gift of a 4.3G
HD. Because so much of the stuff I have is Windows specific, I plan to
run it dual boot Win95 and Linux. How much space do I need to give for
linux? How should I set up the partitions? (How many partitions for
linux?) Which directories are supposed to go on their own partition, and
how do I set it up to know where they are? I plan to give linux around
2G, is that too much? Note that I am setting up a 'new' system for this
drive. (New refers to 486DX4 100. ;)  )

3. Multiple Hard drives
	Is there any way, with multiple hard drives, for linux to think
they are one? For example, be able to split a file across both drives,
yet it run as if it were on one. On the computer I am on now( the 4.3G HD
goes on a different computer), I have two hard drives. Because of the
limited space on each, I would like to have linux think they are the
same. It gets annoying having to move files from one drive to the other
to install software in linux.

4. Dissappearing files
	I have downloaded several files, and save them to D:\ in Windows.
When in linux, I access them from /DOS/ and use the mv filename
~/filename command. When I then issue a cd ~, the files are gone. They no
longer exist anywhere. Yet, when I use cp filename ~/filename, and then
delete the original, it works fine. Why does it do this, and can it be
fixed?

5. Strange colors in X games
	In some X windows games that I have had, when I would move the
mouse off of the window, strange colors result. Others (less simple
games) run with no problem. Coincidentally, the games I have run in X
also have SVGALIB versions, which I run because of the problem in X. Any
way to fix this?

6. Dissappearing .gz
	When I download programs for linux and successfully move them to
an installation area, I gzip -d them. Where did the .gz file go when I
did this? Also, where am I supposed to unzip these programs at? From what
I have read, there is a specific place I am supposed to install programs,
where is it?

I hope that covers it all for now. (Except for PPP, which appears to be a
problem on my dad's end. I will try running my windows dialer in WINE
when I eventually get it.)

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocator

P.S. Is the person that runs the Linux General Store on this list? If so,
I would like to privately email them on some things.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]