[ale] Cable modems and Apache..

Mark Cotner mcotner at mediaone.net
Sat Dec 26 17:38:15 EST 1998

--------------5661E877B0FF07E3152673D4

Adam,
Not sure what could be the problem.  I was able to ping you from outside
our domain(not that I was worried).  Some things to check--
There are many possible problems, but I'll try to hit some of the more
common ones.

1.  Make sure your apache setup is correct -- basically make sure it is set
up on the port your trying to access it on(usually 80).
2.  If you are running Apache from your inetd then you will need to check
your hosts.allow and hosts.deny because they will effect the ability of
access to your web server.  However, I'm pretty sure that Apache runs as
standalone on most distributions(at least all the one's I've used).
3.  If Apache is indeed running as standalone check and make sure the
processes are running(usually about 10 of them).  You can check this with
'ps ax | grep httpd'  If it isn't you will want to check your
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d for a script called S85httpd.  If it's not there you'll
probably want to recreate it and then run it.

I hope this helps.

'njoy,
Mark

Adam Teja wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> I was trying to get to ping my machine at home from elsewhere to see
> if I could get to it from the outside world. I wanted to run a simple
> Apachie server, just for giggles... and the ping return host not
> available or something like that...
>
> anyway, my IP (DHCP'd) is...
> Ethernet adapter el3c5895:
>
>         IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 24.88.40.123
>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>         Default Gateway . . . . . . : 24.88.40.1
>
> it's hooked up to my NT machine as of now while I install a new Hard
> Disk in my Linux box...
>
> anything you can tell me about this would be great,
> thanx,
> Adam
>
> ---Mark Cotner <mcotner at mediaone.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure to what you are referring.  We have no firewall.  Perhaps
> > there is a problem in your setup.  Let me know your IP and I'll be
> happy
> > to help you investigate.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > Adam Teja wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have a Cable modem from MediaOne Broadband in the
> Atlanta
> > > area and know how to see it from outside their precious little
> network?
> > >
> > > I'd like to make my Linux server available to the outside world, but
> > > can't get to it, damn firewall!
> > >
> > > Adam
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > begin:          vcard
> > fn:             Mark Cotner
> > n:              Cotner;Mark
> > org:            ServiceCo, LLC (RoadRunner)
> > adr:            4545 Stonegate Ind. Blvd;;;Stone
> Mountain;Georgia;30083;United States
> > email;internet: mcotner at mediaone.net
> > title:          UNIX System Administrator
> > tel;work:       404-228-6091
> > tel;fax:        404-298-6733
> > tel;home:       770-465-2750
> > x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
> > x-mozilla-html: TRUE
> > version:        2.1
> > end:            vcard
> >

> ==

--------------5661E877B0FF07E3152673D4

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mark Cotner
n:              Cotner;Mark
org:            RoadRunner(formarly MediaOne Express)
adr:            4545 Stonegate Ind. Blvd;;;Stone Mountain;Georgia;30083;United States