[ale] PCMCIA card has disappeared

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Fri Dec 4 12:23:19 EST 1998

I've been using a 3com Ethernet/modem card on my RH5.1 laptop for some time
now quite peachily.  Today, after booting my laptop to Linux after not
having done it for a long time, it looks as though Linux is no longer
seeing the card.  Running ifconfig now only shows l0; eth0 and ppp0 don't
appear even though they're still listed in the Network Configuration X
tool.  I also no longer have a /dev/modem.  Booting w/ and w/o card doesn't
seem to make a difference, and whereas when everything worked, plugging the
card in caused a little bit of disk activity for a second, but no more.
FWIW, the card still works fine in Win95 although I find that I have to
pull the cord out and push it back in for it to work right.

Where do I start?

Thanks,

- Jeff