[ale] Linux friendly ISP

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Dec 4 11:53:29 EST 1998

andy wrote:

> A few questions about Atlnet.com
>
> (1) How are the news groups comprared to say mindspring or supernews?

I can't compare to mindspring or supernews, as I've not used mindspring
and don't know what supernews is, but I will say that downloading news
from atlnet is as fast as downloading email or a web page.  All my
previous providers, I've had three, were very slow downloading news.

> (2) What kind of modems do they have? and what kind of 56k connection do you get?

I don't know the make of modems. You can call them and I'm sure they'll
be glad to answer that question.  I probably knew at one time, but don't
recall, for some reason USR sticks in my head, but I wouldn't go with
that, call them.  My connect speed for the last 37 entries in my log are
as follows:

I will say this, my 56k connectivity via Atlnet is visibly faster than
any of the other providers I've had.

I've got an external USR 56k modem.

>     I have had major problems connecting and getting good 52000, 49333 connections

I've never connected above 48000, I suspect it may be my phone lines,
although I don't know.

>     with any Rockwell based modem. I have to use USR 56k with Mindspring or my ISP
>     to get the above connection speed.  They both use USR Total Control Chassis
> which
>     does not give good V90 connections with anthing other than a USR modem.  USR
>     modems are cool and all but are quite expensive and drive up the cost of each
> system
>     I build for folks who want to save money.

I've got a noname internal 56K flex modem (upgraded to v90) that I've
used on a rare occasion when my main 'data' line was busy.  The connect
speed was always 46666 or 48000 with it as well.  I've not used it more
than 10 times though.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????