[ale] [EXTERNAL] Is PHP the easiest way to make a web application?

Jon "maddog" Hall jon.maddog.hall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 14:47:34 EDT 2024

I remember when keeping the display layer separate from the business logic
was not taught in "Programming 101", and in many shops it still isn't
enforced.

Dr. John Donovan made a good sum of money showing IT executives how
projects that would take an estimated nine months by the executives own
staff could be done overnight (or even less) by Donovan's three programmers
using the equivalent of LAMP.

[I just read the Wikipedia entry on Dr. Donovan and his legal issues.  I
have no data about those other than what I read there.

All I know about Donovan is what I read from his early books and
experienced through his seminars.  While some of the performance that he
presented in his seminars could be explained through the magician's trick
of limiting possibilities, basically he was demonstrating to business
executives the power of LAMP.]

Of course there is the process of writing the initial code and the process
of verifying it and putting it into production.....and these were the days
of "waterfall" vs "agile" production.

Recently Michael Stonebraker (Ingres, PostGRES) has implemented a project
"DBOS" that takes this a step further.  Not for every type of processing,
DBOS is probably interesting for transaction processing.

md