[ale] Seeking Filesystem Guidance

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Apr 29 21:19:04 EDT 2023

Stephen R. Blevins via Ale said on Sat, 29 Apr 2023 18:51:14 -0400

>     I have a terabyte external drive i got from my step-son.  Linux
>Mint claims it is in FUSE format.

I doubt that. Typically it would be a windows or Linux format.

> I use it for both data storage and
>for A/V media storage.  I do like the fact that I can mount it and
>write to it from Linux Mint, *and* that our BlueRay player can also
>read it and display .mkv files correctly from it.

If reading by external devices like televisions and blueray players is
required, you need to leave it at a windows format.

>     I just purchased a couple of terabyte drives (from Microcenter,
>where else).  Their startup instructions assume a Winders environment,
>claiming that Winders will automagically create a filesystem on them
>(I assume in NTFS format).
>
>     My request for guidance is, "If I format them from Linux, what
>filesystem format should I select?"

My opinion: ext4. I've been using it for about 10 years, and ext3 and
ext2 from the 20th century, and they never did me wrong.

SteveT

Steve Litt