[ale] Anyone out there?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Apr 20 10:40:18 EDT 2023

The list has been slow recently.

Refurb microtower Dell and passmarks below.

An ebay special ... All of us get asked by friends about cheap "servers".

Dell has a Core i3-8xxx refurb for $125 in a Micro Tower case. Free shipping.  Perfect for non-gamers that want a small PC for cheap.  Add a 2T-8T drive and you have a great backup server for your home LAN with 5300 passmark v10.  Good enough for office work or media server, if that's your need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385371116037 - Seller has over 98% positive ratings on 290K sales.

Specs:
     Intel i3-8100T 3.1GHz 4-Core / 4-Thread Processor (35W)
         Intel HD Graphics 630
     8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
     128GB Solid State Drive
     Windows 10 Pro
     Ports:
     2x USB 2.0
     4x USB 3.1
     1xDisplayPort 1.2
     1xHDMI

Friends don't let friends by older computers when these are so very cheap. I'm still seeing 3rd - 5th generation PCs being sold for similar or higher prices.  A 4rd gen Core i7 isn't better than this 8th gen Core i3. Compare

CPU           	Technology              	Max TDP Passmark v9
i3 8300T DDR4 2400 	8th Gen Coffee Lake 	35W 	7880
i7 4765T 		4th Gen Haswell 	35W 	7540
i5 7500T 		7th Gen Kaby Lake 	35W 	7485
**i3 8100T DDR4 2400 	8th Gen Coffee Lake 	35W 	7424**
i5 4570S 		4rd Gen Haswell 	65W 	7021
i5 7400T 		7th Gen Kaby Lake 	35W 	6887
i5 6400 		6th Gen Skylake 	65W 	6850
i5 6500T DDR4 2400 	6th Gen Skylake 	35W 	6340
i5 6500T DDR3 		6th Gen Skylake 	35W 	6280
i5 7260U 		7th Gen Kaby Lake 	15W 	5883

Don't get too worried about the 10s in any passmark scores. Round up/down to the closed hundreds

A Core i3-13xxx is around 15K passmarks.  That's about the same as a Core i7-10xxxx.  While I didn't check that Core i7 3 generations older than Core i3 are roughly the same performance, it does seem reasonable.
Check it out: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Posted because I hate to see people blowing more money than necessary. I don't know this seller, though I have bought used computers off ebay a few times when I needed something cheap and fast.