[ale] Thoughts on PC hardware.

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Oct 17 12:22:15 EDT 2022

On 10/17/22 12:00, Robert Harris via Ale wrote:

> I was looking at server for the footprint but that I'm not tied to
> it. Otherwise I used to run on PCs forever.  I do need to stick with
> VMware for now to match my lab but I can always look at taking the
> old hardware and changing that to KVM but for now I got to stick with
> VMware what Ryzen hardware are using?

I completely understand the need to keep VMware for external reasons. Happy that I don't need it anymore.  Of 6 systems I had here in 2009, only 1 would boot with ESXi.  I suppose being picky about hardware does avoid lots of compatibility issues and makes support easier.

I have 2 Ryzens.  A 2600 and a 5600G.  When the 5600G drops to under $120, I'll replace the 2600.  Last week a "5600" (no-G) dropped to $117 on Amazon.  That's a newer, faster, 5600, but I really want to get the APU AMD GPU for a few reasons.  AMD GPUs are just less hassle these days than nvidia.  Anyone interested in an nvidia GT 1030 DDR5, fanless, for $100?