[ale] Slightly OT: recommendations for VOIP/SIP to replace POTS

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Nov 12 15:06:06 EST 2022

The HT802 provides two line service using the standard inner/outer pair
configuration of the single jack on the back. (That's why it's the
HT802, two lines -- The HT801 is one line). Each line can be configured
with separate SIP credentials/accounts to whomever the SIP provider is
which would give you some combination of two lines. Some providers can
give you two lines of the same number and others would give you two
different numbers.

Keep in mind that a SIP trunking provider is different from a VoIP
provider. The trunking provider doesn't necessarily have the POTS
connection, the VoIP provider does. 3CX is a SIP trunking provider along
with a cloud PBX provider. They're the ones you use to manage an office
of VoIP phones but they don't necessarily give you the phone number.
Instead you connect your 3CX system to a VoIP provider to get a phone
number. So you really only need a VoIP provider that has the
interconnections in place like voip.ms or Vonage or similar VoIP
providers. For a single SIP device like the HT802 ATA that's all you'd need.