[ale] Slightly OT: recommendations for VOIP/SIP to replace POTS

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Nov 11 11:44:48 EST 2022

On 11/11/22 11:04, neal at mnopltd.com wrote:
> Thanks to all for replies.   Yes, sounds attractive.  No, don't want
> to add telecom guru to my brain if avoidable.  Installing subway
> tile backsplash in the kitchen is my brain exercise for the month.
> Following a known recipe would be more better.
>
> So, instead of paying $50/mo to AT&T to enable the POTS jack on the
> back of their fiber device, which feeds the POTS wiring in the
> house, I can:
>
> - Buy the Grandstream GS-HT802 2 Port Analog Telephone Adapter VoIP
> Phone & Device for $38 one time; - Use VOIP.ms Residential for about
> $5/mo, or maybe 3CX for free/mo. - Port the existing phone number. -
> Plug the existing house wiring into the HT802 - Use the existing
> house phones for inbound & outbound.
>
> Yes?

I don't have the HT802.  I spent 30 seconds looking for the next version of the HT502 or HT702.  I have a HT702 and it is connected to both my cordless phone base station and a fax using a bonehead rj11 "Y" connector.  The 6 handset+chargers spread around the house don't use the household rj11 wires. That would be separate and you'd probably want to completely disconnect the AT&T phone wires outside (house to street) to prevent 911 calls, if those wires are even hot anymore.  For a long time, AT&T enabled 911 calls over non-paid phone lines. Don't know if their massive switch from POTS to VoIP home phone service changed that or not.

I've never looked at 3CX, so don't know anything about it.  If it provides SIP-to-POTS, then it should work.  I did see others suggesting they use 3CX for a free SIP account, but connect that into a SIP-to-POTS service ... like VoIP.ms.  Perhaps I'm missing something, since a SIP provider that has POTS connectivity negates the need for any other PBX, unless people just want more latency or even more direct control, complexity, automation.

> I also see some ambiguity - The HT802 says it is 2 ports.  It says 2
> SIP profiles.  Some of the comments indicate it supports POTS Line 1
> & Line 2.  But the pictures only show one POTS jack.   (Which has 4
> wires, and can support two POTS lines)   Our POTS phones ARE 2 line,
> using a single POTS jack.  Are the pictures on Amazon wrong, does it
> really have two RJ11 jacks, or is the single jack handling both?

I see 1 physical rj11 jack on the HT702.

> Some of the questions/answers suggest the HT812 in order to have
> inbound rollover from Line 1 to Line 2.  Which would be nice, but
> not necessary.

A proper PBX can do "hunt groups" and rollover.  VoIP.ms should be able to do that as well, in the base package, but I don't use it.  You said you didn't want to be a telecom guru. Best to K.I.S.S.

If you get the thing from Amazon, try it out and it doesn't work for your needs, send it back and get a different one.  Not exactly strange.

There are lots of SIP+pbx services.  Beware that quality varies greatly, so read lots of current reviews.  Paying just a tiny bit and having good call quality matters to me. There definitely are higher cost, lower quality, options.  If you sit on the phone all day, paying by the minute might not be a good idea either.  Look at the total costs over a year  If one month costs $20 due to call volume, you've still saved lots of money over the year.  I ran the same numbers to choose a cell phone service when traveling a few times a year.  Most months would be $3, to the 2-3 months when they were $13 was still vastly cheaper than a $15/month plan that was barely used, much less a $35/month plan that I started out with that was hardly used.

> regards,
>
> Neal
>
> On 2022-11-09 22:27, DJPfulio--- via Ale wrote:
>> On 11/9/22 21:18, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Grandstream-WP810-Portable-Wi-Fi-Device/dp/B087D5TB7C/ref=asc_df_B087D5TB7C
>>

>>> If you are still happy with your POTS normal home phones, get an ATA
>> like I suggested in the earlier message.  Mine is a 6-node cordless
>> (pre-DEC) system with chargers/handsets all around the house. The
>> base station plugs into the ATA and all the handsets work as
>> expected, including caller ID.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Grandstream-GS-HT802-Analog-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B01JH7MYKA

for $40 is what I'd get today.  The single-port version isn't much