[ale] Slightly OT: recommendations for VOIP/SIP to replace POTS

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Nov 11 11:04:58 EST 2022

Thanks to all for replies.   Yes, sounds attractive.  No, don't want to
add telecom guru to my brain if avoidable.  Installing subway tile
backsplash in the kitchen is my brain exercise for the month.
Following a known recipe would be more better.

So, instead of paying $50/mo to AT&T to enable the POTS jack on the back
of their fiber device, which feeds the POTS wiring in the house, I can:

- Buy the Grandstream GS-HT802 2 Port Analog Telephone Adapter VoIP
Phone & Device for $38 one time;
- Use VOIP.ms Residential for about $5/mo, or maybe 3CX for free/mo.
- Port the existing phone number.
- Plug the existing house wiring into the HT802
- Use the existing house phones for inbound & outbound.

Yes?

I also see some ambiguity - The HT802 says it is 2 ports.  It says 2 SIP
profiles.  Some of the comments indicate it supports POTS Line 1 & Line
2.  But the pictures only show one POTS jack.   (Which has 4 wires, and
can support two POTS lines)   Our POTS phones ARE 2 line, using a single
POTS jack.  Are the pictures on Amazon wrong, does it really have two
RJ11 jacks, or is the single jack handling both?

Some of the questions/answers suggest the HT812 in order to have inbound
rollover from Line 1 to Line 2.  Which would be nice, but not necessary.

regards,

Neal