[ale] SELF-2022 is on!

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu May 12 16:25:54 EDT 2022

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 03:46:13PM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I had *thought* I heard during one of those
> "legal facts you should know about firearms" classes that the parking
> lot counts as part of the property and you can't park in the lot with a
> locked and concealed firearm in your car. It's good to know that's not
> true.

A couple of years ago they amended this to make it even stronger -- IIRC
to prevent employers from being able to ask, search, or retaliate
against folks over exercising this right.  (My former employer was one
of those, incidently)

There are some exceptions -- notably including school property (I'm
kinda shocked DeSantis hasn't added this to his "parental rights
WRRRGRBL!!!11" platform yet) and the usual hazardous environments and so
forth.

> Oh geez, at that same seminar I thought I heard that you can't even
> stop at 7-Eleven for a Diet Coke, unless you have a concealed carry
> permit. Thanks for the update on this too.

It's worth mentioning that it's an affirmative defense, not something
that would necessarily prevent local law enforcement from trying to make
an example of you, should you give them probable cause [1].

Also, that federal law doesn't cover overnight stays along the way.
Hotels can tell you "no firearms" even when local laws allow it, but
there's not usually any way they can enforce it, beyond asking you to
leave.

But realistically, since all of this is within the Gun^H^H^HBible belt,
you're gonna be fine.  FFS, GA made permitless carry legal a month ago. :)

[1] IIRC in South Carolina the highway patrol can pull you over for
    "suspiciously driving the speed limit" -- because it turned out that
    just about the only ones _not_ speeding were the drug mules...

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)