[ale] SELF-2022 is on!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 12 15:46:13 EDT 2022

Solomon Peachy said on Thu, 12 May 2022 15:21:13 -0400

>On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 02:25:31PM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>> Isn't it going to be difficult for people from other states to
>> legally bring their firearms? Each state has its own laws about what
>> you can transport and how. For instance, in Florida, if a bank or
>> other business says "no guns", you can't legally park in their
>> parking lot if you have firearms in the trunk, even if the firearms
>> are in a locked case.
>
>I can't speak about other states, but for more than a decade in
>Florida, if you're legally allowed to own/transport a given gun, no
>business (or employer!) can prevent you from having a gun in your car.
>Assuming it's properly secured -- ie out of sight and in a locked
>container, and the car counts as a container.

Thanks for the information. I had *thought* I heard during one of those
"legal facts you should know about firearms" classes that the parking
lot counts as part of the property and you can't park in the lot with a
locked and concealed firearm in your car. It's good to know that's not
true.

>"This act is intended to codify the long-standing legislative policy
>of
> the state that individual citizens have a constitutional right to
> keep and bear arms, that they have a constitutional right to possess
> and keep legally owned firearms within their motor vehicles for
> self-defense and other lawful purposes, and that these rights are not
> abrogated by virtue of a citizen becoming a customer, employee, or
> invitee of a business entity."
>
>  see https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2008/0790.251, section
> 4(a)
>
>Also, Federal law says that you can't be prevented from transporting a
>firearm between two places you're allowed to have it (eg your home and
>a gun range) including incidental stops (eg for gas or food) as long
>as the gun is unloaded and locked out of reach of the drivers or
>passengers -- the glove box or center console does NOT count in this
>case.

Oh geez, at that same seminar I thought I heard that you can't even
stop at 7-Eleven for a Diet Coke, unless you have a concealed carry
permit. Thanks for the update on this too.

>(see
>https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140630/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation)
>
>Meanwhile, if you're going to fly with a gun, you have to have it in a
>locked container in your checked luggage, and declare it at checkin.
>Incidently, this is probably the best way to guarantee the airline
>won't lose your luggage..

I didn't know that either, probably because I never contemplated flying
with firearms. Thanks!

>> I spoze you can rent, but that's both expensive in terms of rental
>> and in terms of being forced to use range-bought ammo, and if it
>> were me I'd spend a lot of time just getting used to the new
>> firearm.
>
>A lot of ranges insist on you using their ammo, especially the indoor
>ones.  Too many folks using tracers or AP rounds. :/

Also steel rounds, which apparently pose a fire hazard at the backstop
in large quantities, or at least that's what I was told at the former
East Orange Shooting Sports range. If I owned a range, I'd certainly
make them use only my ammo in their rentals, because nobody wants
too-hot reloads in their rentals.

So, assuming Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina allow you to
drive with a boxed, locked, unloaded firearm in your car, there's no
problem transporting your firearm(s) from Florida to Charlotte.

So I retract what I said before.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm