[ale] SELF-2022 is on!

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu May 12 15:21:13 EDT 2022

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 02:25:31PM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Isn't it going to be difficult for people from other states to legally
> bring their firearms? Each state has its own laws about what you can
> transport and how. For instance, in Florida, if a bank or other
> business says "no guns", you can't legally park in their parking lot if
> you have firearms in the trunk, even if the firearms are in a locked
> case.

I can't speak about other states, but for more than a decade in Florida,
if you're legally allowed to own/transport a given gun, no business (or
employer!) can prevent you from having a gun in your car. Assuming it's
properly secured -- ie out of sight and in a locked container, and the
car counts as a container.

"This act is intended to codify the long-standing legislative policy of
 the state that individual citizens have a constitutional right to keep
 and bear arms, that they have a constitutional right to possess and keep
 legally owned firearms within their motor vehicles for self-defense and
 other lawful purposes, and that these rights are not abrogated by virtue
 of a citizen becoming a customer, employee, or invitee of a business
 entity."

  see https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2008/0790.251, section 4(a)

Also, Federal law says that you can't be prevented from transporting a
firearm between two places you're allowed to have it (eg your home and a
gun range) including incidental stops (eg for gas or food) as long as
the gun is unloaded and locked out of reach of the drivers or passengers
-- the glove box or center console does NOT count in this case.

(see https://www.nraila.org/articles/20140630/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation)

Meanwhile, if you're going to fly with a gun, you have to have it in a
locked container in your checked luggage, and declare it at checkin.
Incidently, this is probably the best way to guarantee the airline won't
lose your luggage..

> I spoze you can rent, but that's both expensive in terms of rental and
> in terms of being forced to use range-bought ammo, and if it were me
> I'd spend a lot of time just getting used to the new firearm.

A lot of ranges insist on you using their ammo, especially the indoor
ones.  Too many folks using tracers or AP rounds. :/

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)