[ale] Document Scanner Recommendations

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Jun 20 22:13:15 EDT 2022

On 6/20/22 21:47, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
> I'm 95% certain the brother stuff is config files and not closed
> source binaries. And unpackager should be able the pull out the files
> that can be used manually.

Maybe for network devices, but my USB MFC is most definitely NOT just config files. There are proprietary Brother packages and every new OS release requires tweaking some permissions, somewhere for them to work.  However, since the 4.15.x kernel, I've not been able to get scanning working ....

except to USB passthru to a, cough, Windows virtual machine, cough.

There are two possible issue here, with one being more likely:
a) I'm an idiot
b) Brother drivers for the machine aren't updated anymore and haven't been for some years, so the binary drivers don't work under new OS libraries.

Hard to say which ...