[ale] Wired/wireless router recommendation(s)

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Jun 9 09:36:27 EDT 2022

I keep wifi separate from routing.  I expect the router to last at least a decade and swap out the wifi AP as standards move forward, perhaps every 5 yrs.

I gave up on non-x86-64 router hardware because it gets dropped from support so quickly. By sticking with nominal x86-64 hardware ($150-ish), you'll almost always have multiple F/LOSS choices in routing software that is constantly maintained.  I patch my router weekly, just like I patch other computers.

I never want wifi where my router is located. It needs to be in the center of the house while the router needs to be in a locked closet. With a Ubiquiti AP, running a PoE cable from the closet into the attic and across to the ceiling mount for the AP (looks like a fire alarm) is pretty trivial.

PoE is a great thing, just be certain you know which PoE standard is used by each device. There are at least 2 standards, probably more.

Asus routers have been fairly good at patch support, since the FTC settlement forced them. I think they probably do the best at patching in the consumer network device.
Quote:
The proposed consent order will require ASUS to establish and maintain a comprehensive security program subject to independent audits for the next 20 years.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2016/02/asus-settles-ftc-charges-insecure-home-routers-cloud-services-put-consumers-privacy-risk

That's good for us. 2036 is when the FTC oversight ends.

And if you don't already have a UPS protecting your router, I would get one ASAP!  I lived in a location that was frying dial-up modems due to power spikes, but didn't harm anything else for a few years. It got old.  When I moved, I put UPSes in to protect sensitive equipment.