[ale] Wired/wireless router recommendation(s)

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 08:50:45 EDT 2022

I can not say enough good things about Ubiquity.  A lot of their stuff is Debian/Ubuntu based.  Their management tools are generally easy to use.  I added a Security Gateway to my setup so it now also does basic traffic analysis so I can see how my internet traffic is classified.  Ubiquity does have an all-in-one PoE switch, security gateway, etc.  if I was doing it again, would probably go that route.

I also tried the surplus Cisco route, it was A LOT of work since they’re made to work with a controller.  Getting them setup to be stand alone and then managing them later is a tremendous pain.  Conversely, with the cloud enabled management device, I can manage the Ubiquity system from my phone.  I update the controller and APs at work on the weekend with a couple of clicks from wherever we happen to be.

-STM