[ale] OT: Can anyone recommend a KVM switch?

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Tue Feb 15 18:32:15 EST 2022

I'll second the recommendation on Synergy. I've been using it for at least
a decade and probably close to two. The main thing is you need a separate
monitor for each system, but if you have two or three computers on your
desk, Synergy is a much more natural way to share a keyboard and mouse.
When you move your mouse from one screen to another, the keyboard follows,
even though they're different computers and operating systems. I actually
have a little IOGear KVM on my desk, but I only use it when the main system
is down or I need to do BIOS stuff. The rest of the time I use Synergy to
switch. I do use the commercial version from symless.com on the Mac, but I
just use the version from the OS repo for openSUSE. I see it's available
for MacPorts on MacOS for free, but I paid a long time ago for the Symless
version and get free updates, so I haven't tried the MacPorts version.

Scott