[ale] Back to new the desktop question

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Dec 16 22:34:57 EST 2022

On 12/16/22 20:13, William Bagwell via Ale wrote:
> One item on my shopping list you will likely not have on yours is a drive
> bay usb hub. Possibly one with card readers built in. Case I'm reusing
> has no front ports:-(

I added one of these to my first Ryzen.  Bunch of USB2 ports, 35-in-1 SD card reader, 2 USB3 ports, 3.5mm audio jacks, and an eSATA connection.

Sounds awesome right?

Well, because of all the USB2 stuff, when they are connected, booting takes almost 5 minutes as each port/slot is checked for media/storage to be booted. In the end, I left the USB3 ports, audio, and eSATA connected so booting would take so long.

$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 9.460s (kernel) + 43.023s (userspace) = 52.483s
graphical.target reached after 13.202s in userspace

Before it was multiple minutes.  The system has 1 SSD and a 500G HDD inside it. No other DAS.

Since I use microSD storage exclusively for phones, cameras, and cheap USB storage since around 2015, I have a few microSD-to-USB3+ adapters.  Much easier than screwing around with long boot times.  Kingston makes a $10 USB 3.2 microSD adapter that I can recommend highly.  https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-MobileLite-Plus-microSDHC-Reader/dp/B085P5FDXQ  Good stocking stuffer and fast (with quality microSD storage).