[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu May 27 09:21:00 EDT 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 08:52:51AM -0400, Jerald Sheets via Ale wrote:
> What exactly is happening to the discipline, and how can we “do
> better” as a discipline?

The "solution" is make things crappier.  Seriously.

You know as much as you do because you spent decades working on/with
stuff that would break if you looked at it sideways, and that's after
sacrificing untold quantities guatamelan poultry to get it going to
begin with.

Today, thanks in part to the efforts of folks like you and I, the base
stuff generally JustWorks(tm)... so KidsTheseDays(tm) spend their time
working on (and thus, building expertise on) other things.

ObAnalogy: Do you miss carburated cars?  Having to check and adjust
ignition points?  Hard starts in particularly hot, cold, humid, and/or
dry days?  A pinhole leak in half a mile of vacuum hoses causning
stumbling under load, the inability to hold idle, or simply not being
able to start at all?

Or do you prefer to get in the car, turn the key, and expect it to
JustWork(tm) every time, regardless of environmental condtitions or
where you live, so you can spend your time and energy on something you
actually care about?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)