[ale] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu May 27 09:11:40 EDT 2021

On 5/27/21 8:52 AM, Jerald Sheets via Ale wrote:
> I’m actually going to take the whole “Grey Beard” road, but more the trail beside the road than the road itself.  Same ethos, different topic.

> What exactly is happening to the discipline, and how can we “do better” as a discipline?

Before I did Linux, I did vacuum tubes and actual ferrite core memory. We did trouble-shooting down to the resistor or circuit board path. Not that I'm there still, but knowing all that helps me understand more of today's technologies. Of course, there are lots of things I don't understand due to lack of training on the latest techniques and abstractions. Sometimes I feel the lack, and I think it drives my career choices.

Not sure what the best level of education is for folks coming into the industry. While I push myself to AWS-ness, it's very much new ground for me. I enjoy it, even if I don't understand all of the abstractions yet.

--
Site Reliability Engineer  (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)