[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: [EXTERNAL] Time for this Grey Beard to stir up some stuff

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Thu May 27 01:09:56 EDT 2021

Yes, but vi/vim function with a line editor mindset in terms of operating in
command mode unless specifically directed otherwise. Most people who use
computers are used to editors that when they type, things go on the screen
and in the file. vi/vim keeps its line editor roots by operating in the
command mode by default.

I see the same thing with CLI vs. GUI. The GUI mindset is to select an
object, then activate a function on that object (double click, right
click). CLI operates strictly in a verb/object format where you specify
what to do first then what to do it on. You'd laugh at how many times I've
taught novices CLI and they type to edit a file "filename.txt edit". It's a
direct result of the direct manipulation interfaces that they've used
forever.

I know that simple instructions for vi/vim such as "hit 'i' to start
putting text into the file." makes sense intellectually. But to novices to
vi/vim the mental capacity needed to be modal to operate the editor is
quite elusive. And in general they get frustrated with the process before
they get to the good stuff that makes it all worth using to them.

In short nano meets novices' expectation of what an editor does where
vi/vim does not. So, then it becomes a question of it is't more important
for them to use a tool to get a job done or learning how to use a specific
tool in order to be in line with much of the community is more important.

BAJ

--
Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology