[ale] Flame war topics

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:26:10 EDT 2021

That's horrible news! The German beer vs. American craft ale is a very different brewing process. Most German bree is lager style - low temp fermentation and very little side-chain complexity. Most craft beers are ales - higher fermentation temperature and loads of complexity. The variation a types of alcohol is huge in ales and slight in lagers. Plus the grains used in US beers are different as well.

Luckily, there are some outstanding German beers! Everytime I go to Chicago I hit as many German restaurants as I can because 1) I do like a good sausage dinner, and 2) the beer list is fantastic as the German heritage groups make sure of it.