[ale] Getting rid of VMware

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 23:35:54 EST 2021

Ha! With HPC you START with a rack full of 48-core nodes with 2TB RAM  each and 100 Gb ethernet backbone and then let users run "code they found on github" to  make that gear look like a core2-duo swapping out to IDE drives.

Use what works. VMs are for systems that don't need dedicated hardware. Containers are for holding beer.

Coolest thing I've seen yet with VMs was live migration of a Postgresql system in mid-query to a second host. Added about 3 seconds to the query time but completed perfectly. Ovirt kicks butt!

On March 12, 2021 12:15:16 PM EST, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On 3/12/21 11:47 AM, Tod Fassl via Ale wrote:
>>
>> Now, running your vm on someone else's cluster -- that I can
>> understand. But running your own? No, that's dumb.
>
>Not if your server has 24 cores and the DBMS only needs 2 to work
>fast.
>More cores and more RAM doesn't always translate to faster
>results.
>
>In a business, there is a trade off in having optimal use for HW.
>If the DBMS is just 5% slower, but you can get 10 more systems
>on the same HW for $0, that would be a huge win most places.
>
>I see people with 16-core systems who decide to run a 16-core VM
>with 32G of RAM because they can. Then we have them explain their
>workload and suggest a 4 vCPU and 8GB RAM VM.  Crazy, but it runs
>faster.
>With Linux, it is usually best to begin with 1-2 vCPUs and only
>scale up when you know it is actually necessary.

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool