[ale] Getting rid of VMware

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Mar 12 12:15:16 EST 2021

On 3/12/21 11:47 AM, Tod Fassl via Ale wrote:

> Now, running your vm on someone else's cluster -- that I can
> understand. But running your own? No, that's dumb.

Not if your server has 24 cores and the DBMS only needs 2 to work
fast.
More cores and more RAM doesn't always translate to faster
results.

In a business, there is a trade off in having optimal use for HW.
If the DBMS is just 5% slower, but you can get 10 more systems
on the same HW for $0, that would be a huge win most places.

I see people with 16-core systems who decide to run a 16-core VM
with 32G of RAM because they can. Then we have them explain their
workload and suggest a 4 vCPU and 8GB RAM VM.  Crazy, but it runs
faster.
With Linux, it is usually best to begin with 1-2 vCPUs and only
scale up when you know it is actually necessary.