[ale] Getting rid of VMware

Tod Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 03:54:01 EDT 2021

If your database server doesn't need all 24 cores, then just run your
print server on there too. Make it your file server, your authentication
server, your DNS server, your DHCP server, your NTP server, and while
you're at it, your condor central manager too. After all, that is
*exactly* what you are doing by running all those virtual machines on
there. Only thing is you're adding a $10K licensing fee and a whole lot
of other headaches on top of it.

If a single 24-core machine can handle all the stuff I am running on
those virtual machines, why in the world would I pay VMWare an extra
$10K instead of just running them on a bare metal Linux server? The
principle here is that hardware is cheaper than staff time -- which is
*exactly* my point! I don't want to have to dick around with VMWare when
Linux does everything I need it to do.