[ale] Getting rid of VMware

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Mar 12 10:47:38 EST 2021

Linux absolutely has LAG support (as does FreeNAS, by the way, which you
might want to consider if you're building a dedicated file server).

I'm going to quote RH/Fedora configs, but...  Basically you need to create
a bond0 interface:

DEVICE=bond0
BONDING_OPTS='mode=4 lacp_rate=1'
ONBOOT=yes
MTU=1500
DEFROUTE=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
IPV6INIT=no
[ and then your IP configs ]

and then, assuming you have e.g. eno1 and eno2:

DEVICE=eno1
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
ONBOOT=yes
MTU=1500
DEFROUTE=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
IPV6INIT=no

DEVICE=eno2
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
ONBOOT=yes
MTU=1500
DEFROUTE=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
IPV6INIT=no

The "mode=4" means to use LACP.  There are other kinds of bond modes.
>From "modinfo bonding":
parm:           mode:Mode of operation; 0 for balance-rr, 1 for
active-backup, 2 for balance-xor, 3 for broadcast, 4 for 802.3ad, 5 for
balance-tlb, 6 for balance-alb (charp)

Hope this helps.

-derek

On Fri, March 12, 2021 10:28 am, Tod Fassl wrote:
> I created a Win10 VirtualBox virtual machine on my desktop yesterday. I
> got the VMWare client thingy installed and working. I'll start poking
> around in there today.
>

> Thanks for the tip on link aggregation group. That's exactly the kind of
> tip I needed just so I know what to google. Here's a really good
> explanation of LAG:
>
> https://cloud-duo.com/2019/05/lacp-configuration-with-vmware-esxi-part-1/
>

> So I am thinking we may see a performance degradation unless I can find
> the Linux equivalent of LAG.
>

> On 3/12/21 8:15 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My guess is that the multiple ethernet ports are being used as a Link
>> Aggregation Group (which would allow you to have a single IP address but
>> increase the aggregated network capabilities).  But you'd have to check.
>>
>> I think you will need to at least look at the VMware host configuration
>> figure out how the host *is* configured.  I don't think you need to be a
>> vmware expert, but you will need to login as vmware admin to look at the
>> configs.
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> On Fri, March 12, 2021 9:08 am, Tod Fassl via Ale wrote:
>>> We had four machines in the cluster. We've already pulled 3 of them
>>> out.
>>> Two, I've already installed Linux on and have been repurposed. One is
>>> sitting there waiting for me to wipe out ESXI and install Linux on it.
>>> Our virtual Linux file server is still running on that one remaining
>>> ESXI host. So my task is to install Linux on that machine we just
>>> pulled
>>> out of the cluster and reconnect the ISCSI array to it.
>>>

>>> What I need to get a grip on is basically how it is working now. I
>>> don't
>>> want to have to become an VMWare expert for a week of work. I suspect
>>> that what I will be able to do is to follow the usual steps for
>>> attaching an ISCSI array to a Linux file server. But I don't understand
>>> why there are all these cables and how its working now.
>>>

>>> The virtual machine that is acting as a file serveris running on a ESXI
>>> host that has 6 ethernet cables connected to it. But it looks like most
>>> of the ports aren't even active. I would *assume* I can safely remove
>>> those cables. But why the heck are they there in the first place?
>>>

>>> There's this famous anecdote in comp sci. There was a bare copper wire
>>> running from an old room-sized computer to a filing cabinet. There was
>>> note on the filing cabinet that said, "Do not remove this cable." So a
>>> new guy comes in, first thing he does is remove the cable, and of
>>> course, the machine crashes.
>>>

>>> I don't want to be that guy.
>>>

>>> I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and learn more about VMWare. Kinda
>>> sucks though. I'm a math major, not a brick layer.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745