[ale] OT: ethernet port issues

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jul 24 17:36:18 EDT 2021

Boris Borisov via Ale said on Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:42:27 -0400

>We switched to different port on Cisco. Then on next visit we swapped
>PC retaining the old hard drive. Unfortunately the Cisco is under
>control of someone else and they claim cannot pull any logs only can
>see if MAC address is on the port. Not really enough or they are lazy.
>
>Same with cable not under my control.
>
>I guess I can try spray contact cleaner.
>
>You know how companies work. Ball gets thrown around the field. Is not
>me is you :)

Ohhhh, one of those deals.

Will they prevent you from installing the logging daemon I suggested?
(And by the way, remember to put the sleep 10 after the ping, even
though I forgot it). Will they prevent you from booting a live CD on
the intermittent computer to rule out software and config?

Will they allow you to physically bring the intermittent computer into
the wiring closet and temporarily run a 10 foot known good network
cable between the intermittent computer and the Cisco?

I feel for you. In my Troubleshooting classes and books, I decry agenda
based troubleshooting (root cause is in your stuff, not mine) and favor
FEOS (First Employee On the Scene) based troubleshooting, which works
if they all know the mindset and process of troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting isn't easy. Troubleshooting an intermittent is much
harder. Troubleshooting an intermittent with your own organization
fighting you is a Herculean effort.

SteveT

Steve Litt