[ale] Backup software incompatible versions

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue May 19 09:38:33 EDT 2020

Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:28:57AM -0400, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
>> maintaining both versions!   F32 still has 1.2.8 so I can't (yet) file
>> a bug, but apparently CentOS/RHEL/EPEL has already been updated!
>
> Eh?  F32 shipped with 2.0.0, and just saw 2.0.3 come through updates.

Hmm, maybe I missed that.  Oops.

> I believe F31 is also shipping 2.x now, and F30 has the COPR.

OH GOOD.  That means I can go file a bug at RH against F31 that the
upgrade broke my backups!

>> Still, completely frustrating that the wire protocol is incompatible.  :(
>> Very poor software engineering choice, IMHO.
>
> I suspect the incompatibility was forced upon them by dependencies in
> the Python2->3 transition (eg py2 strings and py3 strings are not
> compatible), and working around that would have required a
> disproportionate amount of work.

IIRC they were able to work around the string issue; I think the bigger
issue is the pickle format changed in an incompatible way.

>  - Solomon

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745