[ale] Backup software incompatible versions

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon May 18 11:42:48 EDT 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 11:28:57AM -0400, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
> maintaining both versions!   F32 still has 1.2.8 so I can't (yet) file
> a bug, but apparently CentOS/RHEL/EPEL has already been updated!

Eh?  F32 shipped with 2.0.0, and just saw 2.0.3 come through updates.

I believe F31 is also shipping 2.x now, and F30 has the COPR.

> Still, completely frustrating that the wire protocol is incompatible.  :(
> Very poor software engineering choice, IMHO.

I suspect the incompatibility was forced upon them by dependencies in
the Python2->3 transition (eg py2 strings and py3 strings are not
compatible), and working around that would have required a
disproportionate amount of work.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)