[ale] New Printer Recommendations?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Sep 7 15:25:10 EDT 2019

HI,

This looks like an inkjet and not a laserjet.

I've (historically) had issues with inkjet printers, like the ink drying
out after a relatively short period, or the printer works getting gummed
up within a few months or so.  Has the technology changed significantly in
the past few years that should cause me to look at it instead of a laser
printer?

FWIW, I still have an old HP LaserJet 6MP (Postscript Printer that I
acquired sometime around 1999, give or take.  It still works, mostly, but
after 20 years its paper feeder is beginning to give out.  Talk about a
workhorse!  They don't make printers like this anymore.

-derek

On Sat, September 7, 2019 1:16 pm, Neal Rhodes via Ale wrote:
> We are generally thrilled to bits with our Brother MFCJ5830DW.   In
> particular...
> - duplex printing of letter paper. (nope, can't duplex print 11x17..)
> - good printing of pictures up to 11x17
> - scanner/feeder can take a 50 sheet stack and email you a PDF
>
> ONLY annoyance is the linux printer driver cannot do landscape.  It says
> it will, but it always comes out portrait with stuff chopped off.
> Windows desktops in the house have no problem.   (note: I'm still on
> Centos 6)
>
> On 2019-09-07 11:12, Jeff Hubbs via Ale wrote:
>> Anything Brother, basically.
>>
>> On 9/7/19 9:46 AM, Derek Atkins via Ale wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> We've got an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw.
>>> It's worked.... okay.  It often "crashes" in the middle of a print
>>> job,
>>> only printing like have a page, or stopping mid-way through a "large"
>>> PDF
>>> (where "large" can be as small as 3-4MB).  Sometimes it just falls off
>>> the
>>> wifi network (I don't really blame the printer for this).
>>>
>>> We paid around $300 for the printer from Costco a year or so ago.
>>> The toner is running out, and replacement toner is....  $300.
>>>
>>> So we're thinking of just replacing the printer instead of paying for
>>> more
>>> toner for a printer that, frankly, we don't like.
>>>
>>> We USED to have a Xerox that we loved, until it started ghosting and
>>> the
>>> paper jammed.
>>>
>>> We are looking for:
>>> -- Color (preferably LaserJet)
>>> -- Ethernet
>>> -- Duplex
>>> -- scanner w/ document feeder
>>> -- works on Mac and Linux (I'm happy pulling a PPF file from the mac)
>>>
>>> Any suggestions from the group?
>>>
>>> -derek

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745