[ale] Backing Up and Restoring Fedora 30 KDE Plasma Spin

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Mon Oct 21 21:15:24 EDT 2019

You *can* try to back up a running system via tar or rsync, but it's
really not a safe way to go; if it's a database server and the daemon is
running while its files are read, you can forget about having a reliably
restorable instance.

If you can stand the downtime, the absolute safest thing to do is to
bring the system down, boot it to e.g. SystemRescueCD, mount the
partitions readonly in the same tree arrangement that you ordinarily
boot with, and *then* tar or rsync the mount point contents off
somewhere. A hybrid alternative method is to utilize some sort of kernel
snapshotting (lvm or appropriate filesystem function) behavior, close
everything you can close down momentarily, fix your snapshot, put
everything back in running condition again, and then tar/rsync from the
readonly-mounted snapshot.

In the case of database servers it's really best to just stay clear of
the DBMS daemon's disk space entirely and use its dump/restore powers,
whether you write the dump output to the machine's own disk and then
back up the system a la the above or write the dump out to
somewhere/something else.

Even VM snapshots need care with respect to what's running while the
snapshot is being taken. The basic problem is the same no matter how the
volume data is copied.

I've heard of people running backups of system(s) and then performing a
restore back to the same system(s) *every night*. Can't say their
restore process ever want untested.