[ale] CPU recommendations

Jeffrey Layton laytonjb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 08:37:17 EDT 2019

Good morning,

I don't want to start an argument, particularly on a Sunday morning, but
I'm looking for a new "workstation" at home. I haven't built anything in
the last few years, so any help would be appreciated.

Someone is loaning me 2xNVIDIA GPUs that are x16 PCIe each. I'd like to
have both in a x16 slot physically and electrically. Other than that, at
least 4cores (more is better). Perhaps something with built-in graphics
(not always necessary but the two NV cards are not really designed for
graphics - mostly computation). I can always throw in a simple inexpensive
GPU. I'd like to keep the price below $300 but I can go a little higher I
think.

I don't mind AMD or Intel. I don't mind having to buy a new MB and memory.
With these two cards and a new CPU, I'm sure I'll have to buy a new PSU
(probably 1kW or greater since each GPU is about 300W).

To get things started, Newegg has a pretty good deal on the i7-6800K.
6c/12t, 4 memory channels. Right now it's about $324 (
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i7-6th-gen-core-i7-6800k/p/N82E16819117649?Item=9SIA4RE7MX7779
).

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Jeff