[ale] HDD Locked Up - Wife business pics in it!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Dec 13 21:28:33 EST 2019

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 12:30:59 -0500
Sergio Chaves via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> I was then able to see the drive.
> The dd command says "error reading /dev/sdb : Input/Output error"

Use ddrescue. Unlike dd, ddrescue is meant to read files or devices
with bad sectors. Be sure to use the log file.

I once got a music CD at a garage sale. It was all scratched up and
wouldn't play on any CD player, standalone or in a PC. I used ddrescue
on it. It took hours, but I was able to get it sounding just like new,
except in one short stretch.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21