[ale] HDD Locked Up - Wife business pics in it!

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Dec 14 10:20:21 EST 2019

I'm with Steve and Sam here.

IMHO,

The only things you should be doing with the failing disk is using
ddrescue to clone it at the device level.  /dev/sdZ  you can store that
onto another disk or into a file on a disk that's huge.  It will take a
long time and try multiple times to recover the data, but it will grab
most of it on the first attempt with just the bad sectors needing
multiple attempts.

sudo ddrescue /dev/sdZ  /media/path/to/HUGE/sdZ.file  /tmp/log

AFTER you get a clone, then you can send logical data recovery after it.

I have to say this ... having daily, automatic, versioned, backups means
stuff like this is a minor inconvenience.  photorec isn't exactly user
friendly.  It will find all sorts of files on the disk, multiple
versions, and you'll end up with tens or more of each file. Which is the
current version?  Say you have 10,000 files ... each with multiple
versions.  It won't be fun.

As for the SMART data, I'd need to see the full output to read it. The
raw data is the most important, but need all the columns.  "Old-age"
gets set BEFORE you open the disk up.  Picked up an 8TB a few weeks ago,
to be used for backups, and ran smartctl. Some of the attributes were
already marked as "old-age" with less than 10 minutes of spin time.