[ale] How to test a cat5 wire?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Aug 16 08:35:58 EDT 2019

Jim,

Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> writes:

> Best bet is to buy a cable tester. Barring that, use a radio and make an
> adapter with alligator clips that uses the earphone jack as a signal source
> and a speaker on the other end.

Any recommendations for which cable tester to buy?  I'd prefer cheapest
with most required functionality.  I already have a cable follower which
sends a signal down a pair and lets me trace it.  I also have a
multimeter which I suppose I could use for continuty testing (I just
need some aligator clips to short out one side).

So what do you suggest?

> If a single wire is damaged and your connection doesn't require 8, just swap a
> pair of unused for damaged on both ends. Electrons are color blind 😁. Some
> labels explaining the change will help for later.

Yes, this was my plan, but I don't know if it requires all 8 or not --
that was part of my question.  How do I know if the camera and switch
would use PoE mode A or B?  I do know it's only 100mbps.

> It may be possible to use the damaged wire bundle to pull a new cable. Plenum
> rated wire is tough and easy to pull.

Unlikely, unfortunately.  The cable was run when the walls were all
open, and I know it goes through joists and studs and it stapled to them
along the way.  So no, I don't think I could use it as a pull-string.
That was one of my first thoughts, even.  :(

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745