[ale] How to test a cat5 wire?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 22:46:09 EDT 2019

Best bet is to buy a cable tester. Barring that, use a radio and make an adapter with alligator clips that uses the earphone jack as a signal source and a speaker on the other end.

If a single wire is damaged and your connection doesn't require 8, just swap a pair of unused for damaged on both ends. Electrons are color blind 😁. Some labels explaining the change will help for later.

It may be possible to use the damaged wire bundle to pull a new cable. Plenum rated wire is tough and easy to pull.

On August 15, 2019 8:08:47 PM EDT, Derek Atkins via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>HI,
>
>I am renovating my house and pulling lots of wire.  I pulled some Cat5e
>for some in-house PoE IP Cameras and one wire appears to have been
>clipped
>by the mudders.  They ripped the outside insulation and appear to have
>nicked one of the wires -- looks like the blue.  Doesn't look like the
>broke the wire, just grazed it.  Unfortunately they did it just where
>the
>cable exits the wall, with no slack inside the wall (but a good 10-20
>feet
>rolled up outside, past the nick!  OOPS).
>
>I know my cameras are only 100mbps.
>
>According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet it
>looks
>like PoE with 100BaseT may leave the blue (and brown) wires unused, if
>it's using mode PoE A.  How do I know what PoE mode the switch (a Unifi
>US-48-750) and my camera will use?
>
>In a related note, what is the best way to test if the wire is still
>okay
>or if it got sliced?  I can't tell by looking at it.  It doesn't look
>cut,
>just a bit stripped.
>
>Any suggestions (short of asking my contractor to re-run the cable?)
>
>-derek
>
>PS: Linux related because I am running zoneminder on a linux box :)
>
>--
>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>       derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.