[ale] Coursera: Arduino and C

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Thu Mar 22 15:37:59 EDT 2018

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the Arduino basically runs one single threaded application only whereas the RPi runs a whole Linux OS with multiple programs running just like any Linux box. The one advantage of the Arduino then is it's more deterministic, as in you're not going to have multitasking interrupting your code. But then that puts more work on the programmer if they're trying to do anything somewhat complex. I understand they're used together a lot of times--say one RPi might coordinate multiple Arduinos, each doing one discrete function. E.g. each Arduino might be adjusting a motor based on some sensor values in real time, while the RPi might be monitoring those Arduinos' output pins, collecting some data from each, and reporting it over wi-fi to a web service, and then changing the signal on some input pins of the Arduino based on user web input to alter the logic of how it adjusts the motor to the sensor values.