[ale] odd device stuff

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Tue Mar 20 14:54:59 EDT 2018

On 03/20/2018 12:30 PM, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:

> All the /dev/sda1,2,3 partitions vanish in /dev. The mounts work with
> UUID. partprobe creates all the appropriate devices again.
>
> Choose the older kernel (newest is kernel-3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64.
> Older is kernel-3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64). Same scenario.

Sounds like an udev rule changed, causing the initial device to be
created in /dev/disk/ or similar instead of /dev/.

> Other systems running older kernel only do not show this behavior.
> Multipathd?

Hmm. Possible.  If multipath picks up a device first, it won't get
processed the regular way.  I've disabled multipath before for this
reason. (Blacklisted the module -- if you actually need it, you'll have
to dig into its conf files.)

> pvcreate wants a /dev/sdXN device which don't actually work. Ideas??

pvcreate should be happy with /dev/disk/* link and will generally then
work no matter where or what name that device gets in the future.

Phil