[ale] odd device stuff

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:30:34 EDT 2018

A recent system upgrade on a CentOS7 system puts it one revision ahead
of other machines. I've not found a notice in changelog that explains
what I see.

3 hard drives with 3 partitions on each. /dev/sd[abc] shows no
partitions (no /dev/sda1,2,or 3). If I run partprobe, magic happens and
they reappear. Then I can run blkid to get UUID for /etc/fstab
mounting. Mounts using UUID come from /dev/mapper/<long drive makers ID
string here with a partition number on end>.

reboot.

All the /dev/sda1,2,3 partitions vanish in /dev. The mounts work with
UUID. partprobe creates all the appropriate devices again.

Choose the older kernel (newest is kernel-3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64.
Older is kernel-3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64). Same scenario.

Other systems running older kernel only do not show this behavior.
Multipathd?

pvcreate wants a /dev/sdXN device which don't actually work. Ideas??
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain