[ale] Multi-label names

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 09:13:01 EST 2018

But there's only one /etc/resolv.conf file per host. I believe you are
allowed to configure DNS info per interface because it mirrors or
simulates getting DNS info via DHCP. For years you had to manually
create the /etc/resolv.conf file. Then tools like resolvconf came along
and wrote it for you based on the info from DHCP. Since the host was
getting DNS info from DHCP per interface, that info had to be
configurable per interface. I don't know what would happen if you had 2
nics in a machine and configured different DNS info for both. It would
be like having 2 nics, each getting their IP address via DHCP and
getting different DNS configuration too. I don't know how resolvconf
would handle that (speculation below).

But that's not my problem. What has happened is that systemd has created
it's own caching name server, systemd-resolvd, that creates an
interface, 127.0.0.53, for DNS queries and writes an /etc/resolv.conf
pointing there. That caching name server is misbehaving and I can't
figure out how to configure it. I can't even understand the man page.

I can disable systemd-resolvd and manually create my own
/etc/resolv.conf to bypass it. That, of course, still works fine just as
it has since Linus Torvalds wore nickers. But I'd rather not do that.
I'd rather fix systemd-resolvd.

Note 1: I would think Red Hat is going to move to systemd-resolvd
eventually.  I'll admit ubuntu if f'ed up. ifupdown, netplan,
network-manager -- plus stuff in systemd. It's a huge mess.

Note 2: It never occured to me before that there was an inherent
conflict in having only one /etc/resolv.conf file per host. What if you
have one nic for example.com and a second for example.net? If you say,
"host spock", does that default to spock.example.com or
spock.example.net? Probably both. And whether it would look for
spock.example.com or spock.example.net first would depend on the order
in which the interfaces were configured. So your /etc/resolv.conf might
look like this:

nameserver 192.168.0.1
search example.com
search example.net

If DHCP also sent different name servers, they would probably both be
listed in there as well. But you can't have different DNS info per
interface because programs like firefox and thunderbird don't talk to an
interface. They talk to the network. Firefox isn't going to want to
decide which interface to talk to when you type in a URL. The list of
name servers and search domains has to be system-wide.

Todd