[ale] Multi-label names

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 23:11:55 EST 2018

Yeah. Config differences between distros are how people stay with one distro over others.

Somewhere, ubuntu has a place to define settings for a network interface. If NetworkManager is used, it should pickup stuff like dns, default search domain(s), multiple IPs, etc.

I don't poke around with every distro anymore like I used to. Decided it was more time efficient to just get frustrated with the changes in one.

 :-P

On March 7, 2018 9:36:51 PM EST, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I don't have any answers.
>
>First, Ubuntu/debian doesn't use /etc/sysconfig/ anything. That's a
>RHEL-family thing, I think.
>
>Running a non-LTS is crazy, IMHO.  In 17.10, network setups changed.
>They've added a new middleman - beyond resolvconf. NetPlan is the name.
>Sorry, I haven't looked at it at all, since no LTS has it.
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MigratingToNetplan might be helpful. Someone
>decided that yaml is easier than the interfaces file.
>
>I purge all network manager stuff and either have static IPs or use
>DHCP
>reservations from the network DHCP server. Find it is easier for my
>needs. I understand that network manager is better now than when it was
>when I had all sorts of issues with it.
>
>I've also found that purging avahi is helpful. It gets in the middle of
>name resolution stuff - I usually see issues with samba that are solved
>by NOT having avahi installed.
>
>But I really don't know anything.
>
>On 03/07/2018 04:40 PM, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
>> I was unclear. I have IP configuration data written in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<ifacename> (RHEL/CentOS/Fedora
>> location). That's how NetworkManager gets what it needs to run
>> networking (as long as it's not blocked in the ifcfg-<device> file
>> specifically.
>>
>> The new method is to have resolve.conf "built" each time the network
>is
>> started up.
>>
>> I use bind managed through Free-IPA for DNS for my domains.
>>
>> On Wed, 2018-03-07 at 15:01 -0600, Todor Fassl wrote:
>>> You mean add the equivalent values to /etc/systemd/resolv.conf?
>Nothing.
>>>
>>> I actually copied a working resolv.conf from another machine to
>>> /etc/systemd/resolv.conf and restarted systemd.resolvd. The
>resulting
>>> /etc/resolv.conf file (actually a symlink to
>>> ../run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf) was the same. I even
>deleted
>>> the ../run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf and then restarted
>>> systemd.resolvd to make sure it was generating a new file. No joy.
>>>
>>> I am not totally surprised that experiment did not work though. I
>think
>>> the resolv.conf is correct as far as it goes. It is the behaviour of
>the
>>> thing listening at 127.0.0.53 that is in question.
>>>

>>> On 03/07/2018 01:46 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>>>  > What happens if you add
>>>  >
>>>  > DNS1=8.8.8.8
>>>  > DOMAIN=mydomain.net
>>>  >
>>>  > To the network configuration? NetworkManager will that that as an
>entry
>>>  > in resolv.conf and write it there.
>>>  >
>>>  > I thought systemd-resolvd was used only (mostly) during startup
>to do
>>>  > thing like handle remote filesystems, etc. I've never used it.
> [...]

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.