[ale] SB 315 Major Update (Important!)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 19:01:26 EST 2018

On Mon, 2018-03-05 at 18:43 -0500, Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 05:57:37PM -0500, Greg Clifton via Ale wrote:
> > In as much as the NRA discount had only ever been taken by either
> > 14 or 16
> > passengers, this turned out to be some expensive virtue signaling
> > on the
> > part of Delta! Originally sales tax exemption was granted to help
> > them
> > recover from bankruptcy, once the crisis ended the tax was
> > reinstated. The
> > real question is why were we considering giving the tax break to
> > the
> > airlines now at this time of record profitability?
>
> There are arguably good reasons for reinstating that
> exemption.  There
> are also good reasons for not reinstating it.  However, punishing an
> entire industry "because one private organization decided to end a
> completely irrelevant association with another private organization"
> isn't one of them.
>
> It reeks of pettiness and corruption, blatantly elevating a special
> interest over that of an overwhelming majority of not only their
> nominal
> voting constituents, but the business interests that have greased
> the
> wheels of politicians since time immimorial.
>
> Whatever the politics, the spice must flow, and generally pissing
> off
> the greater business community is not a good path towards re-
> election.

Heh, heh. Multiple pundits have noted the stunt reeks of election year
politics. The governor's seat is up for grabs this year and the loudest
mouth on the 'toss the tax credit out' side is running for governor.
Multiple pundits are calling it a bad move. As I've noted, pretty much
anytime GA makes it to NPR nationally, it's embarrassing. EVERY time GA
makes it to TheReg, it's another example of clueless trying to appear
capable.
<sigh>Some days  I don't why I'm still here. Then I remember about the
fantastic food choices around Atlanta and the lack of 3 feet of snow
every winter and I remember.
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.