[ale] SB 315 Major Update (Important!)

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Mar 5 18:43:46 EST 2018

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 05:57:37PM -0500, Greg Clifton via Ale wrote:
> In as much as the NRA discount had only ever been taken by either 14 or 16
> passengers, this turned out to be some expensive virtue signaling on the
> part of Delta! Originally sales tax exemption was granted to help them
> recover from bankruptcy, once the crisis ended the tax was reinstated. The
> real question is why were we considering giving the tax break to the
> airlines now at this time of record profitability?

There are arguably good reasons for reinstating that exemption.  There
are also good reasons for not reinstating it.  However, punishing an
entire industry "because one private organization decided to end a
completely irrelevant association with another private organization"
isn't one of them.

It reeks of pettiness and corruption, blatantly elevating a special
interest over that of an overwhelming majority of not only their nominal
voting constituents, but the business interests that have greased the
wheels of politicians since time immimorial.

Whatever the politics, the spice must flow, and generally pissing off
the greater business community is not a good path towards re-election.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^