[ale] github

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Tue Jun 5 18:59:08 EDT 2018

On Tuesday 05 June 2018 06:32:49 Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 07:40:36PM -0400, Joey Kelly via Ale wrote:
> > ...but what bothers me is, where are we supposed to go now, and why so
> > soon?
> What, beyond not relying on someone else's free (and proprietary)
> service to host your source code or other project infrastructure?

Yes. Not because those two sites were free, but because they were central
sites that everyone knew about and everything of importance in OSS could be
found there. Sure, I can spin up any of a handful of web-enabled git thingies
and self-host them, but that means I'm participating in the re-fracturing of
the open-source universe (surely a part of M$'s plan in eating Github).

...or instead of web-enabled git, I could go back to putting tarballed
releases on my site, just like I did when Freshmeat was alive... that site was
pretty much a listing of software and links to where each project hosted their
stuff, anyway.

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant