[ale] help for handling passwords from dbas

Kyle Brieden kyle at txmoose.com
Tue Jun 5 13:43:50 EDT 2018

We have some secrets that must be in environment variables for
containers, so we do something similar.  Jenkins creates a
public/private keypair for each environment, stores the private key in
it's secret store, then makes the pub keys available via the repos.  We
can create an env file (literally just a file with bash variable
assignments), name it something according to a well-known pattern,
encrypt the file with the pub key for said environment, then push the
encrypted file up to our internal git repos.  When jenkins runs later,
we have logic that looks for well-known-encrypted-file-name-patterns,
decrypts them, then uses them.

Feel free to reach out to me if you need more description of the process
or anything.

---
Very respectfully,
Kyle Brieden