[ale] github

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 20:46:43 EDT 2018

I recommend cut and paste scripts found on the web. Be sure to run them
as root. :-)
I ran a git install for a while. Used ssh for all user login so it was
pretty much just like a standard machine.
All the gui stuff is just web code so the standard setups for user-
supplied text input is typical. Basically treat it like a web app.
Apache/nginx will whine if the perms are wrong for writing to the git
repo so test it before announcing it.
Put it in a VM for easy backup and restore.
On Mon, 2018-06-04 at 20:11 -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 19:40:36 -0400Joey Kelly via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2018 11:30:52 Tory Deron via Ale wrote:
> I went ahead last night and pulled down all my data and deleted
> myGithub account.
> Just… no.
> Well, if it ain't been said yet, if you have open source code with
> agood license and watch your checksums and pull requests, you might
> bealright, for a while. But anything proprietary, you're a fool
> tostay, and possibly a fool for having put it there in the first
> place.
> ...but what bothers me is, where are we supposed to go now, and whyso
> soon? Dice at Slashdot, along with SourceForge and Freshmeat. Weknow
> they trojanned many SF downloads, and totally killed offeveryone's
> favorite repo (Freshmeat). Now we have to leave GitHub?I'm getting a
> little tired of having to move every time I turn around.
>
> I'm considering hosting my Stylz git repository on my desktop
> computer,hopefully in a chroot jail or something like that. I'll have
> the githttp server so folks can be guided in git clone, and I'll have
> ssh keyaccounts for the few with actual commit rights.
> My main concern is I don't know how to do the security.
> SteveT
> Steve Litt June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of
> Troubleshootinghttp://www.troubleshooters.com/28

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain