[ale] UBuntu 17.10 EOL today

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 20:20:52 EDT 2018

Rhel, and older redhat, was always don't roll with the .0 release. The .1 was usually good. By the time they got to .2, it was pretty rock solid. I think the rhel releases are slower than the old redhat and .1 is solid.

My fedora get upgraded about 2 months after release.

On July 20, 2018 6:07:25 PM EDT, Byron Jeff via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 04:04:09PM -0400, Scott Plante via Ale wrote:
>>    I've never used Ubuntu though--If you want to go from 14 to 16 or
>18,
>>    do you have to do a complete re-install, or will it upgrade
>cleanly?
>
>The LTS (Long Term Support) versions come out every two years (even
>years
>in April). Each has 5 years of support for updates and packages. The
>versions that come out inbetween every 6 months have much shorter
>support
>frames.
>
>I've only done upgrades between 14 and 16. They were all clean. No
>reinstalls necessary. I've also heard no issues with updates to 18.04
>LTS
>to date. So I'm pretty confident that it'll go smoothly.
>
>I usually wait a few months to let the residual bugs shake out. Usually
>the
>first couple of subversions may have an issue or two that reveals
>itself
>with widespread deployment. Typically by the 03 or 04 subversion are
>stable
>enough to last the remaining support period.
>
>BAJ
>
>>    --
>>    Scott Plante

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.